- Loss of Control: When people feel on top of things, change threatens them with losing control of their personal area of control or influence.
- Uncertainty: Predictability is contributing to many people. Change brings uncertainty, which some people find threatening.
- Surprise: We like new things but hate surprises. Sudden change is very unsettling to most of us.
- Habits: We love our habits. They are efficient and don’t require thought. Establishing new behavior patterns is difficult.
- Familiarity: The more we know things, the better we like them. (that’s why companies spend a lot on advertising) The unfamiliar is disturbing.
- Work: New things usually mean more work (at least at the beginning).
- Competence: People know that they can do what they already do. Change means they will have to master new skills, and they don’t know if they will be able to do it
- Ripples: People fear that change in one thing will lead to change in others.
- Adjustment: People are afraid it will take them a long time to adjust to any change.
My Consultancy–Asif J. Mir - Management Consultant–transforms organizations where people have the freedom to be creative, a place that brings out the best in everybody–an open, fair place where people have a sense that what they do matters. For details please visit www.asifjmir.com, and my Lectures.