- Despite computer manufacturers’ promises of the paperless office, shipments of office paper have risen 51 percent.
- In less than 10 years, people in the US added almost 135 million information receivers—email addresses, cellular phones, fax machines, voice mailboxes, answering machines—up 265 percent.
- In one year, 11.9 billion messages were left on voice mailboxes.
- Even though people are clamoring to get on the Internet, they are sending even more messages through the postal services, and they are talking on their telephones more than ever.
All companies can hold down costs and maximize the benefits of their communication activities if they just follow three simple guidelines:
- Reduce the number of messages;
- Speed up the preparation of messages;
- Train the writers and speakers.
Even though you may ultimately receive training on the job, you can start mastering business communication skills right now. Begin with an honest assessment of where you stand. In the next few days, watch how you handle the communication situations that arise. Then in the months ahead, try to focus on building your competence in areas where you need the most work.
My Consultancy–Asif J. Mir – Management Consultant–transforms organizations where people have the freedom to be creative, a place that brings out the best in everybody–an open, fair place where people have a sense that what they do matters. For details please visit www.asifjmir.com, and my Lectures.